Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mandolin Reflection #9





I was invited to play a small show at the Guyer Barn on February 11th, and so I took this as an opportunity to play the mandolin to an audience. I did a few guitar songs, but I played a ditty which I composed myself, a bluegrass tune that I learned from my uncle, and song that involves picking which I made up myself.
At the show, I played a song on the guitar that I hadn't played in a while called "Sleeping Dead" by Emily Jane White. It's uses a pick, which I generally don't use on guitar, but I noticed that I definitely used some mandolin strum patterns that I used. The guitar strum for this song is very rhythmical, and that is a hallmark of mandolin pieces - because they are used as backup in bluegrass songs (and other songs) mandolin picking frequently takes the place of percussion. It's interesting to note that mandolin has made me a better guitarist.

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen e-mailed me a recording of her song that she describes in this post. It is a great piece of evidence that demonstrates her talent as a musician. - Mr. Hyer

    ReplyDelete