Friday, November 27, 2009

Mandolin Reflection #2

I still need to sign up for Mandolin lessons at Jack's Drum shop again, but in the meantime I have been playing a lot independently. I thought that a good activity would be to use my mandolin lesson book to get more involved with the music theory aspects of mandolin, the more technical side. I started with practicing my scales, and learning the notes on each string. Once I felt comfortable playing scales, I began to learn songs from my lesson book that involved rapidly playing different notes, first on one string, then as the songs got more complicated, incorporating more strings. It's hard to move fast, because not only do I have to remember where to put my fingers, there are multiple strings I have to be switching between. Furthermore, the songs call for playing only one string at a time, which is very difficult to do, because I have to watch my form with the pick. However, I've definitely gotten more comfortable with that, and it shows in my guitar playing as well as my mandolin playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment