Friday, November 27, 2009

Mandolin Reflection #4

Because I have some idea that I might like to be a musician later in life, I have been trying to become more familiar with the mandolin by composing simple songs on it. It's a lot of fun and I actually prefer it to composing on guitar, and more importantly it's been helpful with learning about chords and variations. Generally, I start with one chord as a base; for example, in a recent song, C. I then place one finger on a different fret on a different string, the effect of which is that it flows smoothly and that it creates a varied, but beautiful sound. It's really great because I have gotten to experiment with chords and picking, how to incorporate the two, moving beyond chords and different methods of playing, dissonance, and more things that are more sophisticated, musically. I will post the tablature for some of the songs I've written, or find a way to attach an audio file.

No comments:

Post a Comment