Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ballet Reflection #3

My ballet class the other night was mostly review of what we had learned in the previous two classes. There was a new person in the class, so the other student and I aren't getting as much individual attention, but I know the basics well enough now that I am confident I will be fine. The warm ups and basics come very naturally to me now - plies and piques and arabesques feel very normal to me now, as well as things that are tricky at first, such as foot positioning. For example, in first position the feet are together at the heels and pointed away from each other at an angle. At first this felt quite abnormal, but now it feels normal to start in that position and then to return to it after my foot has been moving around. Essentially, the simple things have become pretty automatic. I have also noticed that I am improving on the other things we learned, like jumping in arabesque, balancing, and the various twirls I have been taught. I was not at all tired at the end of the class, but I did feel relaxed and well-exercised, like I had a good workout. I am ready for the physical intensity go up, I think, because I have definitely built up strength in my legs and improved my balance. Between classes I have been practicing my positions and other steps, so I am improving quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment