Friday, March 19, 2010

DI Reflection #5

Because the paint was dry on the set, the team decided that it would be good to split our time between working on the schoolhouse set and the puppet. I volunteered to work on the painting set. I thought that it would be good to have bricks painted onto the set, because most schools with the exception of Sturgis have brick facades. Missy and I painted a streaky darker layer of paint and then re-painted the brick red over it, to give the set depth. It looks quite realistic, I think, because it isn't just a flat color. It's nice that I can bring my interest in doing art (and nice art) into DI. I started off trying to paint white mortar in blocks so that it would look like the set was made up of rows of bricks; however this was tedious and painstaking and we didn't have any brushes fine enough to paint the lines with. I wasn't sure what to do, and looking through our other art supplies I found some colored pencils. I used these to sketch white mortar lines directly onto the set, which I shaded with the red and black and dark blue pencils to make it more realistic. I got through one side, and next week we are going to do the pencil technique on the other side so that we get the schoolhouse completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment